Caring for the Student with a Tracheostomy and/or Gastrostomy Tube in the School Setting - January 2024
This program is recommended for nurses who care for children with tracheostomy and/or gastrostomy tubes in the school setting. Didactic training will be provided for both tracheostomies and gastrostomies followed by skill stations. Tracheostomy skills stations will include general tracheostomy care, tie/tube changes, suctioning, emergency bag/trach ventilation, ventilator basics, and emergency simulation. Participants will also rotate through gastrostomy skills stations to include accidental dislodgement, care, feeding, venting, giving medications, and troubleshooting. After attending this event, participants will report increased knowledge and confidence caring for children in the school setting with tracheostomies, ventilator dependence, and gastrostomy tubes. Participants will also report at least one practice change they intend to make as a result of this education.
Course size is limited to the first 60 participants, so register early!
Print these resources and bring to the conference. Copies will not be provided.
Tracheostomy Tip Sheets
Changing Trach Tube_CHCO.pdf
The Go Bag_CHCO.pdf
Trach Tie Change_CHCO.pdf
Trach School Care Plan Sample.pdf
Trach-Vent School Care Plan Sample.pdf
This program is recommended for nurses who care for children with tracheostomy and/or gastrostomy tubes in the school setting.
After attending this event, participants will report increased knowledge and intent to change practice related to caring for children in the school setting with tracheostomies, ventilator dependence, and gastrostomy tubes. During this event, participants will demonstrate skill competence with tracheostomies, ventilators, and gastrostomy tubes.
- Describe medical indications for needing a tracheostomy or gastrostomy tube.
- Explore the role of delegation and care coordination and the importance of building resource capacity when caring for children with tracheostomies and gastrostomy tubes in the school setting.
- Demonstrate skills related to tracheostomy care, including daily cares of suctioning, cleaning and tracheostomy tie/tube changes to prevent complications of skin breakdown/infection, plugging and decannulation, emergency ventilation, and the basics of the ventilator operations.
- Demonstrate skills related to gastrostomy tube accidental dislodgement, care, feeding, venting, giving medications, and troubleshooting.
- Identify practice changes that nurses can implement in their daily practice when caring for children with a tracheostomy or gastrostomy tubes, including those related to delegation and care coordination.
Learners will rotate through the following sessions:
- Breakout A: Emergency Ventilation (Bagging)
- Breakout B: Tracheostomy Care and Changes
- Breakout C: Tracheostomy Suctioning
- Breakout D: G-Tube Care and Stoma Preservation
- Breakout E: Ventilators
*Program subject to change
Faculty list to come.
Nursing Continuing Professional Development (NCPD): Children's Hospital Colorado is approved with distinction as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by Colorado Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation. This offering for up to 5.75 nursing contact hours is provided by Children’s Hospital Colorado. Only claim the hours you attend.
Completion Criteria: Attendance, sign-in, and submission of an evaluation after session are required for successful completion and receipt of certificate of attendance.
Financial Disclosures: Planners, faculty, and others in control of content (either individually or as a group) have no relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies.
- 5.75 Attendance
- 5.75 NCPD
Registration fees remain low thanks to a generous donation from the Hearst Endowment, which supports education and training for nurses.
Participants will be provided a light breakfast as well as lunch.
No refunds will be granted for non-attendance, although you may send a substitute.
In the event the program is cancelled you will be notified, and a full refund will be given.