BloodNet Education Conference Series 2023
Children admitted to pediatric intensive care units are increasingly more complex with disease processes often related to underlying hematologic disorders or requiring hematology-related support to survive their acute illness. To keep up with this population, pediatric intensivists must remain up to date with the latest research regarding pediatric coagulation, thrombosis and transfusion medicine to improve stimulate creative research with the eventual goal of improving the outcomes for these patients.
This educational series will provide the latest evidence surrounding these topics for the interested community. Ideas for topics can range anywhere from the diagnostic utility of coagulation testing as well to the use of blood transfusions in children requiring extracorporeal support.
The BloodNet Education Conference Series is an educational event offered periodically throughout 2023. Each session will explore specialized topics in the field of hematology, featuring talks and discussions from leading pediatric critical care, transfusion medicine and hematology experts.
May 30, 2023: What is Patient Blood Management? Practical Applications in the Critically Ill Children
- Presented by: Fabrizio Chiusolo, MD, Laura Butragueño Laiseca, MD, Marianne Nellis, MD, MS, Avishay Sarfatti, MD, Simon Stanworth, MD and Stacey L. Valentine, MD, MPH
November 20, 2023: Immune Dysfunction in Critical Care and Considerations For Use of Immunomodulating Therapies
- Presented by: Monty Mazer, MD, Colleen McEvoy, MD & Kenneth Remy, MD
The target audience for this series includes physicians, fellows and healthcare providers who have an interest in pediatric critical care and hematology.
At the conclusion of this education, participants should be able to:
- Increase provider understanding and interpretation of coagulation testing commonly used in the pediatric critical care setting
- Evaluate identification of coagulation testing and clinical strategies used during care of the pediatric patient on ECMO
- Refine provider awareness of low titer o negative whole blood transfusions as a possible option in the resuscitation of pediatric trauma patients