Medical Biochemical Genetics Clinical Core Seminar Series
The series provides a core set of didactic sessions that highlight advanced, practical application of the knowledge of biochemical genetics for all who practice in the field (from trainees to faculty). This series provides a way to bring together clinical team members in the small field of biochemical genetics in order to grow and establish community, share best practices, develop careers, and prepare fellows for board exam and clinical practice.
The Medical Biochemical Genetics Clinical Core Seminar Series is an educational event offered periodically throughout 2022. Each session will explore specialized topics in the field of biochemical genetics, featuring talks and discussions from leading pediatric genetics experts.
- July 22, 2022: Fatty Acid Oxidation Disorders 1
- Presented by: Nicola Longo, MD, PhD, University of Utah
The target audience for this educational series is primarily Medical Biochemical Genetics (clinical) and Clinical Biochemical Genetics (laboratory) Fellows. The course is open to, and has been beneficial for, Medical Genetics and Genomics and combined Pediatric/Genetics Residents, other rotating residents (Pediatrics, Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, etc), students (medical, genetic counseling, etc.), MD/DO/PhD faculty, and other biochemical genetics team members (genetic counselors, dietitians, advanced practice providers).
At the conclusion of this educational series, participants should be able to:
- Diagnose and manage inborn errors of metabolism and better understand nuances of rare disorders to prepare for board exams and maintenance of certification.
- Organize and improve inter-professional communication, community, and team-building with others in the MBG field.
- Determine best practices between biochemical genetic faculty experts and trainees.